Classification Status: Non-Exempt; this position is classified as non-exempt and encompasses the basic requirements stipulated by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Job Summary: This position requires individuals possessing exemplary people skills and demeanor. Bilingual ability is a positive asset for the position. Attention to detail and a high degree of organization will be required to lead people through the School Readiness (SR) and Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) eligibility determination, registration, and income verification as well as the Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) processes. Computer/information system technology capabilities are required the online registration of clients. Responsibilities include: Conducting eligibility interviews, recording data for intake services, processing SR and VPK attendance, monitoring attendance and assisting providers as requested. Will act as point of contact for intake and documentation of CCR&R, informing parents/families of quality childcare/early learning options for traditional and non-traditional care including care options for inclusion of children having special needs.
Salary-Benefits: $15.00 – $21.63 per hour/ $31,200.00-$44,990.00 annually, 40-hour work week + Benefits (unless Part-time); based on experience and/or credentials.
The general responsibilities of the Family Support Specialist are:
- Establish resource and referral record in the CCR&R database from parent/family inquiries; provide information about SR and VPK programs and options available when selecting a childcare/early learning provider.
- Act as liaison for clients seeking childcare/early learning assistance for children 0-5 who may need a special or non-traditional setting.
- Schedule and notify clients of appointments for initial, re-certification or re-determination of SR eligibility, coordinate appointment schedules with staff at the primary intake level.
- Schedule and notify clients of appointments for VPK eligibility, coordinate appointment schedules with staff at the primary intake level.
- Conduct interviews with clients who seek SR services based on referrals from the Department of Children and Families (DCF), Partnership for Strong Families (PFSF) or Workforce Board who may not require an advanced appointment as well as parents/families complying with continued eligibility requirements (re-determination).
- Determine family income eligibility and parent fees based on Federal, State and Early Learning Coalition of Florida’s Gateway’s (ELCFG) SR guidelines/policies.
- Interpret and effectively communicate ELCFG policy both verbally and in writing.
- Use Enhanced Field System (EFS) to properly update and maintain SR and VPK data records for each child and his/her family.
- Create, update and maintain required information for each child served by the program by using history notes and intake files.
- Maintain accurate and complete files.
- Assist in the completion of Family Needs Assessment and make appropriate referrals to community service agencies.
- Answer the main phone in the absence of the Program Support Specialist.
- Stay informed of all current local, state, and federal rules & regulations relating to childcare/early learning.
- Adhere to the ELCFG’s standards of attendance and punctuality by being consistently present at the workstation and using time wisely.
- Ensure that all information of a confidential nature is held securely.
- Provide technical assistance to SR and VPK providers as requested.
- Provide assistance and direction to SR and VPK providers in the implementation of ELCFG quality initiatives
- Assist with community outreach and awareness activities/events.
- Bilingual if applicable.
Requires travel as requested that pertains to the job type.
Education, Experience, Certifications, Licenses and Registrations:
- Bachelor or Associate Degree with 2 years case work/social work experience or a high school diploma with 6 years’ experience in social services related work preferred.
- Or, Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Education or a CDA and 3 years of experience;
- Or, professional experience of six years or a combination of education and experience may be substituted;
- Or, least two years of Customer Service and Office work experience required.
- Level 2 background screening required.
- Knowledge of the eligibility rules governing SR and VPK programs.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and procedures governing the SR and VPK programs.
- Knowledge of office procedures and equipment, including the application of electronic data processing and working in a web-based environment.
- Ability to express ideas effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with general public, co-workers, and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, gender, or disability.
- Ability to read and interpret technical procedures and government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedural manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and the general public.
- Bilingual ability, Spanish or Creole preferred.
- Ability to organize and prioritize various assignments.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software, e.g., Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to comply with assignment deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and apply ELCFG, state and federal rule and requirements
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is also required to sit at a desk and use acomputer.The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / VET / DISABILITY